Defying the Odds (Battered Hearts)

Defying the Odds - Kele Moon I am writing this review after reading Defying the Odds and Star Crossed back to back. I LOVE Kele Moon's writing. She does a phenomenal job of building characters and developing relationships. The chemistry between Melodie and Clay is scorching hot and oh so sweet. This book was like Sleeping with the Enemy meets Rocky. Melodie is running from her ex-husband who was abusive. She struggles to get by leaving him with only the clothes on her back. She works non-stop to make ends meet and luckily catches a break in a small town dinner. Clay is a Mixed Martial Arts cage fighter. He is a local and national celebrity. A chance encounter at the dinner leave Clay reeling and he begins to fall for Melodie. She has struggled to find happiness and has started to feel like she will just have to be happy to be alive. Then comes the good part... Clay is aiming for the UFC National title. He has to decide what is most important to him. Clay is in for the fight of his life and in the end he hopes to come away a winner in love. I am giving this book 4 out of 5 stars. I LOVE the writing and I adored the writing style. For whatever reason I just didn't connect with Melodie as much as I had hoped. She was very passive and sweet to Clay's rough and domineering. It worked for them but there was just something missing for me. I did however love Wyatt and Jules. Amazing first book to what I hope will be a long series!